Your Child's First Dental Visit? Here's What to Expect
The first visit to the dentist is often an exciting time in a child’s life. As a parent, you may be wondering how to best prepare your son or daughter to help ensure they develop positive feelings about visiting the dentist right from the start. At Advanced Dentistry of Centre County, our dentists and team offer comprehensive family dentistry in a caring, safe environment. We always strive to make trips to the dentist fun, comfortable, and stress-free for patients of all ages, especially when it’s a child’s very first time receiving dental care. Read on to learn what you and your family can expect when visiting our State College, PA practice for children’s dental care.
When should your child’s first dental visit take place?
According to the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry (AAPD) and the American Dental Association (ADA), a child’s first dental visit should take place before they turn a year old. Bringing your child in for pediatric dentistry visits at this age can allow our dentists to identify any concerns as soon as possible, reinforce the importance of good oral habits, and help give them a healthy start in life. Dental exams should then be scheduled as recommended by your child’s dentist.
Choosing the right family dentistry provider
We know how important it is to find the right dentist for your family. It’s also helpful to find a family dentist who can address all or most of your child’s oral health needs, which helps foster a trusting, positive relationship when it comes to receiving routine or preventive dental care. Choosing the right State College, PA dentist for your little one can have a positive impact on their health, smile, and overall dental experience. Our team at Advanced Dentistry of Centre County is experienced in children’s dental care and offers pediatric dentistry services in a patient-focused environment.
What to expect during pediatric dental visits
At Advanced Dentistry of Centre County, we strive to make children’s dental health visits exciting and fun. Here’s what you can expect when bringing your child in for a pediatric dental visit at our State College, PA practice:
- When you and your son or daughter arrive, you will be shown to one of our comfortable treatment rooms. A member of our team will talk with you about your child’s health and dental histories.
- Depending on your child’s age and needs, digital X-rays may be taken so that we can gain a better understanding of their oral health.
- One of our highly trained team members will then gently clean, polish, and floss your child’s teeth to remove any built-up plaque or tartar. An in-office fluoride treatment may be applied if recommended by our State College, PA dentist.
- We will also spend time talking with you and your child about how to keep oral hygiene habits at home and demonstrate proper brushing and flossing techniques.
- One of our dentists will then examine your child’s teeth. They will talk with you about oral health concerns you may have and discuss treatment options if needed.
- At the end of your child’s visit, we can help you schedule any follow-up visits for care or book their next dental cleaning and exam visit.
Find personalized family dentistry in State College, PA
Whether your child needs cleanings, fillings, tooth extractions, or emergency dental care, we are here to provide gentle, personalized treatment for your little ones. We take pride in creating a dental environment where all patients can feel comfortable, safe, and well-cared for, including the youngest members of your family. To schedule your child’s first dental visit, please contact Advanced Dentistry of Centre County in State College, PA today!